About Your Surgeon
Adele is a Colorectal Surgeon. She understands that patients want an excellent surgeon who understands what can be sensitive problems.
She grew up in southern Tasmania in the Huon Valley.
She completed her General Surgical training at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne.
She became a Fellow of the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS) in 2007 in General Surgery including training in the UK.
After her Fellowship she undertook further training in Colorectal Surgery through the Colorectal Surgical Society of Australia and New Zealand (CSSANZ).
In 2008 she was the Colorectal Fellow at the Austin Hospital, Melbourne.
In 2009/10, she was awarded the prestigious Murray and Unity Pheils Travel Fellowship from the Royal Australian College of Surgeons and completed a years training at the Cleveland Clinic, USA, under the mentorship of world-renowned surgeon Dr Victor Fazio.
She is now the Head of the Colorectal Unit at the Austin Hospital and also has affiliation with the Mercy Hospital for Women.
Adele's Surgical Interests include:
- Colonoscopy and Gastroscopy
- Cancer Screening, Prevention and Cancer Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery (Keyhole)
- Diverticular Disease Management and Surgery
- Management of Functional Bowel Problems including Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Constipation
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction Management - Including:
- Sphincter repair and augmentation surgery.
- Sacral nerve stimulation - a new management technique for feacal incontinence.
- Obstructed Defecation - problems passing bowel motions.
- Rectal prolapse surgery.
Adele is also trained in Pelvic Floor ultrasound, muscle and nerve testing.
New - In rooms Manometry for Pelvic floor issues - no hospital admission required
When ever possible Adele carries out laparoscopic ('keyhole') surgery - this provides a faster recovery, less pain and a better cosmetic outcome.
Adele research activities have included; Robotic surgery for Rectal prolapse, Colorectal Cancer Treatment, Familial Adenomatous Polyposis (FAP) and she has written book chapters on Pelvic Floor Disorders and the Management of Rectal Bleeding.
She is a mum and enjoys photography, painting and running/jogging - depending on the day and distance!